Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Wonderful Thing About Dogs



Dogs are pure unconditional love! Here is a photo of my sweet canine friend, Izzy, a little terrier mix who was born in a shelter. Her poor mother was homeless and pregnant and I am thankful everyday she found her way to me.


I love this excerpt from a speech George Graham Vest made to the senate way back in 1855:


"The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer. He will lick the wounds and sores that come in the encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. when all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens." ~ George Graham Vest, Speech in the Senate 1855


God bless all the poor homeless dogs out there in the world. God bless all the poor, neglected sweet souls out there who are stuggling to stay alive in this cold!


This post comes on the heals of my watching an animal planet episode that displayed one of the most horrific cases of human carelessness and neglect toward a sweet dog I've ever heard of. Thankfully, the episode had a happy ending with the dog finding refuge in a family that would love him forever!


Now go hug your dog! - and your cat! I love cats too!



Ann



1 comment:

  1. Ann thank you so much for stopping by and leaving your sweet message. Izzy is the picture of sweetness. She is blessed to have found such a loving home as yours. I read about your Molly. I have a toy poodle and I enjoy him so much. I had two lovely dogs that I lost in the same year.(two years ago) They just grew old on me and I don't know where the time went. My cocker spaniel was 15 and the whippet was twelve. They died within 7 months of each other. Our children grew up with them, and they brought us years of joy.
    I enjyed reading some of your posts tonight. Your g-son truly is an angel.
    June

    ReplyDelete